Monday, April 30, 2012

Always One Day Away From Healthy Eating


One of the great perks of being a consultant is that you get to eat out at awesome places and try new foods all the time.  One of the problems with being a consultant is that you have to eat out ALL the time. 

I love trying new foods.  When I found out I would be coming to Des Moines, I spent several nights on tripadvisor, yelp and google searching for all the restaurants I needed to try.  Within my first week on site I probably had at least a dozen different places bookmarked.  And, this might not be such a problem if I hadn’t bookmarked places like Zombie Burger; where you can get a bacon cheeseburger made with grilled cheese sandwich buns.  (Yes, I ordered this.  And yes, it made me feel very, very sick).

So, after a couple months of eating like that, I decided it was time I improve my habits.  And, for the month of January, I did great.  Ate a ton of salads, fish, chicken and veggies.  As a general rule, I wouldn’t even look at the burger/sandwich section of the menu.  But, then when birthday month came along, every meal was a new excuse to try something new.  And, I quickly slipped back into my diet of cheeseburgers and fries.

Every couple weeks, I tell myself I’m going to start making changes and eating healthier.  No more french fries, no more deep fried appetizers.  And, then within a day or two I hear about a new amazing place that I just HAVE to try before leaving Des Moines.  Or, I hear that the new hotel I’m at has free chocolate cake in the lounge.

So, I guess I’ll start eating healthier tomorrow, one night can’t hurt, I tell myself.... But, until then, I’ll just work on trying to find more new and exciting salads to fill in the gaps and try again the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment