Thursday, April 26, 2012

Seat Selection


Being the person I am, I sometimes analyze seemingly meaningless things a lot more than other normal people.  Choosing my seat on the airplane is no exception (on the nights I don’t get upgraded that is).  Since I fly so often, I’ve learned exactly where I like to sit, and even a few tricks to get what I want.

Sitting near the front is an obvious choice.  You get off the plane sooner, get drinks sooner, all that good stuff.  In general, in the mornings I like the windows (to lean against to sleep) and in the evenings I like the aisles (makes a regional jet feel less claustrophobic).

In the past couple of weeks, however, I discovered a new great flying perk: THE EXIT ROW.  I know what you’re thinking, either: “Veronica, you fly every week, you’re just now realizing this?” or “Veronica, you are 5’2”, why do YOU need the exit row?”.  These would both be logical questions.  For a while I avoided the exit row because I really didn’t need the extra leg room and felt bad taking it from people who did.  But, last week, I discovered that on a CRJ900, if you take the exit row you get TWO tray tables.  That’s right, you get to pull one tray table out of the armrest, and then can also fold open the one on the back of the seat in front of you.  Creating a perfect space for both a laptop, a drink and a snack. WIN!

Then, tonight, I realized a brand new perk of the exit row, picking it really allows you to pick any seat in coach that you want.  How? You might ask. There’s the obvious choice of asking the airline to reseat you, but this not guarantee you end up anywhere better.  Instead, you just watch tall men board the plane, and, if they sit some where you’d rather be, ask if they want to switch – haven’t had anyone tell me no yet.  So, when I sat down tonight and realized that on an A319, you do not get a second tray table in the exit row, I turned to the man behind me (who was seated next to an empty middle seat) and asked him to trade.  Score for having enough room to sit cross-legged a spare tray table right next to me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment