Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Thunderstorms Are Bigger in Texas


Everything is bigger in Texas, right? Well, this weekend I learned that this applies to thunderstorms too.  Now, it may seem weird that it has taken me nearly a year to see this, but, remember, that with all my travels I don’t really get to experience my own weather all that much (plus the huge drought thing last year).

This Saturday I was reminded of how much I LOVE thunderstorms.  I love seeing the lightening streak through sky, hearing thunder so loud it rattles my windows, and just watching the storm.  This time, the storm started while I was out, so I got caught in the rain downtown, and in just the few minute walk to car, I was sufficiently soaked enough to cross “get caught in the rain” off the spring/summer to do list.  Fortunately, I made it safe inside before the big storm really hit.  Which included power surges, hail (I think), and so much pouring rain that there appeared to be a river running through my parking lot.  Perfect way to end the night :)

Then, Sunday night, I realized that these storms can be pretty awesome (provided they come on Sunday and not Thursday) at giving me the consulting equivalent of a snow day.  Since I decided to take a chance flying American Airlines again (only because it would be leaving home) my flight Monday morning was delayed from the late night storms.  So, with my connection time reduced to 5 minutes and SO many daily options to get to Des Moines, I was rebooked onto a flight at 6pm instead of 6am – nice work thunderstorms :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment