Friday, March 23, 2012

The Apartment Hunt


I can’t believe I’m coming up on a year since moving already... So the apartment hunt has begun!  It’s not necessarily that I don’t like where I’m living right now, mostly, I think I’m just ready for a change.  The apartment I’m in now is beautiful, with a ton of space, a balcony, and a nice pool – most of which I never use with my work/travel schedule.  I’m also getting a little tired of not being able to get anywhere without getting into my car.  Having lots of trees and nature around is nice, but I miss the days in college when I could just walk across the street to get a cheeseburger.

When starting the search back up again, it took me about two days to realize that I can’t have everything I want, in the area I want, for the price that I want (big surprise there).  So, I’ve since spent most of the week feeling overwhelmed by the enormity of options on the internet while I try to figure out what it is I actually do want/what I’m willing to pay for it.  On the advice of a couple of coworkers/ friends, I finally contacted a realtor who I’m very optimistic will help make my searching much easier over the next week.  I did start some tours today, and started feeling a bit better after seeing places in person.  Some places were clearly no’s: $1100/month for a studio is certainly not in my price range.  But, the maybe’s are a lot more difficult.

I’m thinking what it will really come down to is where I want to live: south area that’s close to downtown, or father north that’s closer to friends/the office.  I love the idea of staying south so that I wouldn’t have to learn a new area, and being nearly walking distance from downtown.   But, I am getting tired of feeling trapped by rush hour on Friday afternoons/evenings.  So, I’m looking forward to exploring the north campus area tomorrow with some friends and hoping that will make my decision a bit easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment